Devotions by Da'dra
Can I be honest? I've battled depression my entire life. (I know, I know...hard to believe 😂). But, it's a weapon of choice the enemy has used against me and many people I know. I've even wanted to end it all). Thank God I didn't. I would have missed out on my amazing life). But, the longest time I remember being in a depressed state was for an entire month! I was a teen at that time. I went to a revival where Jackie McCoullough was preaching and that night, depression was supernaturally lifted from me. But, other times the relief has come gradually in other ways.
What is depression? Well, I'm talking about the state in which your mood is down, you don't find joy in things you used to. You'd rather be alone and you don't feel like yourself. Your normal personality is dulled. You feel hopeless to change your situation and feel like giving up. Some eat or sleep more/less than usual. Others start sleeping more/less than normal. Many simply lose energy and are lethargic and don't want to live. (There are other symptoms and you can google depression. I wanna try and make this brief. You gotta get back to work, school or whatever you were doing. 😂).
I wasn't going to write about this, but I felt like it was important to let you know that you are not alone. And just because you may be a believer doesn't mean depression won't try to weigh you down. Depression doesn't discriminate. You can be rich, poor, middle class, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, Mexican, young, old (you get my point). It can happen to anyone. A man who killed an elderly gentleman while live streaming showed clear signs of depression.
In the scriptures, Elijah, David, Moses, and others dealt with depression, too. But, I love how David just started speaking to his soul (mind/will/emotions) and told himself to get his hope back again.
Honestly, I was feeling down yesterday...but looking at my post about being a Top Woman in our community lifted my spirits. Proverbs 12:25 says, 'Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs it down (depression), but a good word cheers it up.' And a friend I love dearly called me for prayer. I didn't feel like praying for anyone, but as I did, that discouragement lifted off of me so quickly! And last night at rehearsal, I laughed so hard, my stomach hurt.😂😂 (So much for this being brief. Ugh!)
Well, let me get to the point. If you have been depressed and haven't wanted to tell anyone because you're supposed to be a strong person, believer, leader or otherwise, I'm giving you permission, to be honest. Psalm 34:18,19 says, 'The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all.' There's no judgment here. Only love. I'm just like you. As your sister and friend, I want you to know it's ok and you're not less of a great person because you've been down. Trust me, you can bounce back to being yourself. And the Lord will deliver you out of all your troubles.
Here are a few things I recommend to beat depression holistically:
- Get some physical rest! Elijah was depressed after running for miles from Jezebel and was exhausted! You're vulnerable when you're tired.
- Check your vitamin levels. You could be low in B vitamins. They are mood-boosting nutrients.
- Laugh! It's like taking a dose of medicine.
- Put a Praise On It! Nothing lifts your mood faster. Thanksgiving and depression can't co-exist I'm the same space for long.
- Encourage someone! When you encourage someone else, you end up reminding yourself of the hope that's available to you.
- Exercise. It helps release endorphins (the happy hormone) in your brain.
- Pray and do some spiritual warfare. Hey, it works. You have to command the spirit of depression to leave you.
- Talk to someone, You may need a physician's help. Some symptoms are a result of other physical/chemical imbalances. If I don't take my thyroid meds at the same time daily, I don't feel like myself.
- Get my record! 😂😂 I was joking, but honestly, I can't listen to it and not feel better. Try it! You just might experience the same thing. We prayed over the project so there's a spirit of joy on it. You can download it or order physical copies at my website www.dadragreathouse.com We've been shipping them out weekly. So honored many are being inspired, encouraged and healed by it.
Let me pray for you. Father, in the name of Jesus, I command the spirit of depression to leave you now! I speak peace, joy, and hope into your spirit. I declare that you are not alone and that God is with you at this very moment, delivering you from sadness, hopelessness, loneliness, frustration, shame, guilt and embarrassment. I pray that you will laugh today and remember the many blessings in your life. May the peace of God overwhelm you as you praise and worship Him all day long. No weapon formed against you will prosper. You are more than a conqueror. You are victorious and today, you will see and feel a difference as hope rises again in your heart. Nothing is impossible for God. He's working now to change your circumstances, in Jesus' name. Amen.
Sorry so long, but I hope this encourages you! Have a blessed, prosperous and productive day. ❤️